Thursday, March 1, 2007

Headaches... as I see it (or not)

I have been getting headaches everyday... bad ones! It's been going on for probably a month now. I've gotten so used to it that I forgot it was abnormal. On Monday I realized this is not normal! I could have a serious issue - a brain tumor, a really bad sinus problems, back issues, jaw issues - I started having a mini freak-out. Instead of rushing to the doctor, I decided to do some research. So starting Monday afternoon I documented everything I ate and did. I don't have a heavy caffeine intake so I knew it couldn't be that. Was it something I ate? Was it just bad sinuses? But I don't have other sinus symptoms. I was convinced it was because of the tension in my back and neck... but I've always had that ever since I broke my coccyx (tailbone) in college.

Aha! Finally, I found a pattern! But it didn't make sense. The pattern was this:
2pm - Headache would set in
3pm - Ibuprofen
4pm - I want to comfort myself from the pain so I go to our break room and just sit and rub my head... specifically my temples.
5pm - I would leave work rushing to get home so I could rest my head
5:20 - Arrive at home unable to do anything with this headache
6pm - Finally, my headache is gone!

That's how it has been everyday!! However I think I discovered the problem last night! I got these new vitamins and was reading the back of the pill bottle. Only I couldn't read it... it was really blurry! So without thinking I continued to stretch out my arm, bottle in hand, until it was at a comfortable distance to read. Logic set in! It's my eyes! I no longer have 20/20 like I have always had and this is causing my headache (mixed w/ the dumb fluorescent lights in my office! Hate em!). So I decided to make a doctor's appt to confirm my diagnosis. I'm excited I discovered the problem (I think!) and I'm excited to pick out a cute pair of reading/computer glasses. The best part is... I was my own doctor! I didn't have to have a bunch of tests run, blood work, doctor's appts, etc in order to discover the issue. I just used my head (no pun intended)! Uh-oh... I hope I didn't just jinx myself by speaking too soon... what if it actually is a brain tumor?

7 comments:

AJ said...

hmmmm...way to go Penny...Inspector Gadget would be proud!!!

Psalm112 said...

I had to get new glasses a few weeks ago, too. My right eye has decided to not work as hard as it should. I don't have headaches anymore, though!

Unknown said...

Yeah- your back! I thought you forgot about your blog!! It is a lot of pressure to have a blog, isn't it?
I am so proud- new glasses are way fun and cute and trendy- much like Lisa Loeb.
I get herpes- I mean, fever blisters too. No really, the worst is COLD SORE. Gross...I don't wanna have a cold sore!!

Julie Hibbard said...

I thought I had a brain tumor a couple of weeks ago too! I had shooting pain in my head. Went to the doctor and she asked if I sat on the couch hunched over a laptop. Why yes!
I had a major muscle/nerve situation going on in my back that was shooting pain to my head. The cure:
I had to go have a one hour treatment at Burke Williams...torture!
:)

andrea said...

I want the same thing you got, Julie!

Allie said...

"it's not a too-mah!"
(Kindergarten Cop)

andrea said...

ha ha ha! that made me laugh, allie!