Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Grocery Store Run In

So today I ran by the grocery store to pick up a few things for an event that's this weekend. As I'm walking with my cart toward the cash register to pay, a man (33 -36ish years old?) approached me and asks if I could help him with something.

He says quietly, "Can you help me pick out some flowers for me to give to a woman. I just want to let her know that I think she is beautiful."
Being the romantic that I am, I agree.
I ask all kinds of questions, "Are you dating her?"
"No."
"Does she know you?"
"No. Not really."
"Are these flowers a means to ask her out?" (if so... barf. I'm romantic... not cheesy!)
"No. I just want to tell her that I think she's beautiful. Really that's it. I'm just not good at the picking out part."
I think I made some dumb joke that went something like "picking out the flowers or picking out the beautiful woman?" I can't remember what I said but it didn't get a laugh... not even from me. I quickly change the subject - flowers.
So, I tell him to go with the pretty autumn-colored gerber daisies. Not too many as to overwhelm her, but more than one. And gerbers are cute and sweet... not a hugely romantic flower that could potentially scare her away. Yes, I analyzed the flowers. So he (we) picked out 5.

We get in line together... I let him go in front of me because he only had 5 gerber daisies and I had a cart full of things. He pays but continues to chat with me, so we ended up walking out together.
As we're crossing the parking lot I say, "Well, good luck with the flowers. I think she'll love them."
He replies, "Here. I want you to have them." He begins to hand them to me.
Very confused, I say "What? No! I like them but you should give them to her." ("her" never had a name.)
He smiles and chuckles and said, "I think you're beautiful and I was picking them out for you the entire time. I just wanted you to have what you liked."
I must admit, part of me wanted to roll my eyes and say "Gross! This was so cheesy!"
But... I couldn't help but smile. This was one of the sweetest, most sincere gestures ever. "Wow. Thank you. I don't know what to say... I'm very flattered. Thank you."
"Well, I couldn't pass up the opportunity."
I, of course, quickly lighten it up and start rambling about my confusion... I basically retold the entire walk to my car to him as if he hadn't been there. I'm such a dork.
He then says, "It was very nice to me you, ???"
"Andrea." I reply.
"Andrea, very nice to meet you. I'm Brandon. I'm going to go inside now to get my shopping done." He smiled the entire time he spoke.
"Okay. Have fun! Maybe you'll find another beautiful woman in there," I jokingly yell to him as he walks away.
He turns around, smiles and says, "I think you're it. I've never done it before and I doubt I'll do it again. I was shaking the entire time."
He pauses.
"Bye, Andrea."
"Oh, bye Brandon. Have a great day."

And that was it.

So now I have 5 gerber daisies sitting in a little vase on my desk. And every time I look at them... I smile.

10 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I love this story. You didn't give him your card? Come on! Does he know where you work? Two ships...

Shawna said...

Oh my gosh! That is so sweet and romantic. I think it's another way of God affirming you...for all that you are. I love this story. :) It makes me smile.

Greg, Alissa, Luke and Jack said...

Wow! You don't hear of stuff like that very often. That's so neat that he went out of his way to do that. Who could blame him, though? You are BEAUTIFUL! Thanks, by the way, for showing off Luke. That picture always makes me laugh.

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I LOVE BRANDON! So sweet! Next time I go shopping I will hang out in the flower section for a while...with my luck some guy name LESTER will show up.

Cathi said...

Holy holy holy crap!

Kristyn said...

oh my gosh! what a great story!! Hope you run into him again!! ;) I want a continuation of this story...

Allie said...

Shut Up.....I LOVE that story! Something sweet you will always remember.

Angel2 said...

Ummm... you left out the part where you told us whether or not he was hot! (I'm guessing if he was it would've been mentioned and you would've given your digits.)

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Yay for random guy reminding you!

If I were a 30ish year old man...

eas8302 said...

Nice Andrea, nice....... :)

see you at the party tonight!!!

andrea said...

For all of you inquiring minds - what Brandon did was very sweet. He was a gentleman and didn't seem to be a "player," but I've been wrong before. No, I did not give him my phone number... it takes more than flowers to convince me.

I also must admit... the more I've thought about, the cheesier it seems... bordering creepy. BUT... I'm a cynic! :)