Monday, September 24, 2007

A Game of Telephone





When my old roommate, Kathlee, moved to LA, she left a few things to "store" at my place because she didn't need them with her... however we get to conveniently use them. She left things like a kitchen table, a refrigerator, a cable modem, a microwave and a few other things. So the other day I get a voicemail from her and I hear her say, "Sorry for the late notice, but I need to come by tomorrow and pick up my table." I was a little bummed because I had a friend coming in town and I didn't want an empty dining room. But, it's her table and she's entitled to it. So I call her back and we chatted for awhile and again I hear her say, "I'll be by tomorrow around 1pm to pick up my table. So sorry for the late notice."
The next day I went shopping for a new table and put a table and chairs on hold because I didn't have a truck to take them home with. However, when I got home that night I found a really sweet note from Kathlee on top of her KITCHEN TABLE. I thought, "how sweet! She decided to leave it because she saw the beautiful bowl that looks so great on it, and the mirror that hangs on the back wall is the perfect backdrop for this table."
I checked my email that night before I went to bed, but my internet wouldn't connect. I tried to discover what the problem was and realized that our modem was missing. What? Why would our modem disappear? Then I realized... OOOhh... Kathlee must have taken our modem, not our table. Now how in the world did I confuse modem and table is beyond me.
The next morning as my new roommate, Cathi, and I were getting ready this exchange took place:
Andrea: "hey, I think I misunderstood Kathlee. She didn't take our table..."
Cathi interrupts: "She took our cable?"
Maybe it was the inflection in her voice, but this still has me laughing to tears. I didn't understand how I confused "table" and "modem" until then. Later that day I was at Target and was laughing out loud so hard while thinking about it, that I had to hold my phone up to my ear so that people would think that I was laughing at someone on the phone. I'm such a dork. BUT, c'mon... who calls a modem, cable???

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Not me, I call it a banana.

Kristyn said...

funny story!! We need to catch up...it's been too long since we've chatted! We'll be in San Fran this weekend, too bad it's sooo far from your neck of the woods. :(

Shawna said...

that's hysterical! i love how you held the phone up like you were talking to someone when you were laughing. ahhh...i can picture it now and it makes me laugh too.

Angel2 said...

That's so funny! Ugh, I wish I was there to hear your laugh- I'm a big fan!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I'm laughing just reading this...I would have paid money to be there for that conversation...HAAAAAA