Friday, June 8, 2007

Hard Fall = Hard Laugh

Today I watched a 30-ish year old man walk out of Starbucks. Drink in hand. Ray bans in place. Diesel Jeans fit just right. And the I-think-I'm-so-hot-and-everyone-is-watching-me-right-now-and-thinks-the-same-thing attitude that explains his "type." As I watched him walk away I was thinking how that attitude and world view is such a turn off, and suddenly...

HE FELL HARD!

He missed the curb and fell straight on his stomach... in the middle of an empty parking spot, then stood up as fast as he could and walked away as though nothing happened, leaving the now empty coffee cup lying on the pavement. I couldn't stop laughing and neither could anyone else in the area.

Do you laugh when you see someone fall?

6 comments:

olivia and henry said...

andrea,
you have always amazed me with how you not only laugh at something that is funny, but laugh at something that is really sad or even horrible!!!! you are hilarious. love you and miss you!!!! please please come visit!
ang

vanessa said...

i think it's funny when someone trips (always!) but not when someone looks like they could be hurt! angie's right, i do remember that you laugh at the most random times. i remember one time thinking...what is wrong with her? gosh...i wish i could remember what happened! kinda makes me laugh thinking about it, actually...haha.

Brent said...

That's so sad.
I would probably laugh too. I wouldn't want to, but I probably couldn't help it.

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I laughed when I read this...HECK YES I laugh...and laugh hard. How can you not? I'm like the kid in Big Daddy, I have a sudden reflex when someone falls to laugh and not try to hide it at all. I'm SO sad I missed this moment.

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I just read everyone elses comments and now feel like a HUGE jerk for laughing, however I am 100% sure that won't stop me from laughing the next time I see it happen. (I'm still giggling thinking about this story and I wasn't even there)

Shawna said...

don't worry, Dot - i would have laughed too and then asked if he was ok. :) i think we all laugh...even if it's not out loud, but to ourselves or especially after the fact. laughter is the best way to get through anything, i think. Ande - i wish i was there to bust out with you.